Monday, August 23, 2010

Has anyone got any advice on how to get rid of heartburn?

I have started to get really bad heartburn in the last few weeks of pregnancy so much so that its waking me up at night. Ive tried gaviscon,rennies and milk but nothing seems to take it off any one got any better ideas?Has anyone got any advice on how to get rid of heartburn?
I used extra strength Tums when I was pregnant - helped soooo much !!!Has anyone got any advice on how to get rid of heartburn?
Try eating more fiber to absorb excess acid and you could try making ginger tea.
Oooohh! I feel your pain!!!!!





I've been prescribed Gaviscon Advance which I've found to work better than regular Gaviscon, but sometimes even this doesn't do the trick. Check out Zantac 75 pills. They're the best treatment I've had so far for the heartburn, and I only wish I'd discovered them sooner!!





I was climbing the walls with it, especially after taking Rennies and various other tablets. It's a nightmare, isn't it?!





(You may need to get the all clear from the midwife or the doctor before taking Zantac pills but believe me they were the best things so far! You take one and it lasts up to 12 hours.)





Also, I got an email from the Mothercare people which said that watermelon or honeymelon is a good reliever of heartburn as it's cooling and refreshing, and there's nothing in there that will exacerbate heartburn any further. I haven't tried this though as I'm not very keen on melon, lol but thought I'd pass it to you in the event you might like to try!
Have you tried extra strong mints. My midwife recommended these and it eased it off for me. Good luck.
I had it quite bad and resulted to rennies - speak to your midwife, they may be able to suggest summit else - other than that, you're are just going to have to put up with it.





Lots of hair on the baby though (their head)
Saltine crackers worked wonders for me. I kept a package by my bed and would eat a few crackers when my heartburn was really bad. I hated heartburn! I hope this helps!
Gaviscon tablets. Huge great lemon horse pill things that taste like hell!!! Worked a treat for me and mine was so bad that i had blisters on my tongue.
With my first i had a bit of bicarbonate of soda in a bit of milk. Tasted like i was drinking liquid metal but it worked for me. (didn't get heartburn for 3 days after taking it)





Or you can try your local herbal shop for a natural remedy
try tums, or rolaids soft chews, both worked really well for me, and the rolaids soft chews actually taste pretty good.
Tums are safe to take during pregnancy. Have you told your Dr. about it.
Extra strength TUMS with calcium...it does wonders!
As well as taking Gaviscon (which works pretty well), don't eat after early evening, avoid foods like chocolate, coffee, tea and coke which contain caffeine, and you could try propping the head of your bed up by 5 or 6 inches.
Try Tums. They helped me the most. Also, try not to eat too close to bedtime. Because your muscles are all relaxing, your food is coming back when you lay down.





Good luck!


30 weeks with #2
do NOT use rennies!,they are tablets that contain bicarb of soda that can start off labour!,docs just say use gaviscon and avoid spicy food
i have this problem also. i would def. try asking your dr. if you can get a prescription med. that is what i have, and it still isnt perfect but it helps a lot, plus i think its true the eating close to your bedtime is bad, or large quantities of food at a time. smaller meals are probably best.
OMEPRAZOLE !!!


I tried Rennies, Tums, Gaviscon etc and they didn't work.My doctor prescribed Omeprazole, it works a treat.It works by making your stomach produce less acid, unlike the others which neutralise the acid that's already been produced, the stomach just makes more.


Ask him if you can try it, it is only available on prescription.
Be careful what you eat, how late you eat and if need be my doctor said i can use tums or pepcid AC. I'd check with your doctor to see what otc stuff you can use. Hopefully it helps! I feel your pain sister!
when i was pregnant i had bad heart burn and introgestion i went to my doctor who gave me gaviston. it worked straight away. hope this helps.
Just take over the counter white tums (generic is fine) and drink 2% or whole milk. You will have to keep the tums by your bed and you will be making numerous trips a night to the fridge. Other than that....you can try to limit your food after a certain hour and watch what you eat for dinner. It is hard, I know!! My third daughter was the worste and she came out bald!! I had terrible heartburn with all four of my children!!
I drink lots of milk. It also is good for baby, so kill two birds with one stone.


I've got heartburn now thinking about it...hehe.
Weird suggestion but its helping me.... The love hearts sweets that you get from any shop. I dont know why, but it was rec by someone at work and it did make mine go away. Good luck, these past few weeks are hell, arent they?
Tums, Tums, and more Tums!!!
1) when you have ameal do not drink anything with it - not even a glass of water. Either have a drink half an hour before or an hour after but not at the same time


20 do not eat anything that is high in any specific substace e.g. high in sugar or high in fat or high in starch. make your meals well balanced and varied.


3) Get some rennies - they were the only thing that worked for me when all else failed.
try half a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in a wee bit milk its not very nice but its the only thing that works
Try Pepcid AC. My OB said that it is safe for pregnant women. If that doesn't help ask for a prescription. I took Protonix and I finally got some relief. Good Luck.
TUMS...i went through 6 bottles...no joke....when i was pregnant
Eat small meals not too late at night. Also I find ginger beer eases it. Good luck.
Try to avoid foods that cause Heart Burn.





For example, things like orange juice causes heartburn. Try to not eat chocolate, or drink coffee. Tomato sauce, hot spicy foods. Fried foods also cause alot of Heart Burn. Also, mints cause really bad heart burn. Mints is something that ALWAYS gave me heart burn. Also try to not eat anything to close to bed time. It is good to give your body at least two hours to digest foods, then try to keep your head elevated above your feet. (This is hard, because they say to put blocks under your bed)





My Husband has very bad heartburn. These are the things that are recommended by his doctor to reduce it.





Also eat tons of Tums. If non of that helps, try to talk to your Doctor, they might be able to get you something stronger.
Tell your doc I got on a med that was safe for the baby but i cant remember what it is called
OK - Tums rock the known universe - I keep a roll in my purse and a pack on the nightstand.





Also, try not to eat at least 3 hours before going to bed. This gives you time to digest.





You may also want to eat smaller meals more often.





Try and figure out if it is a specific food that is bothering you. I'm avoiding anything tomato based (due to the acid levels) as well as Garden Burger and Ice Cream (both which seem to cause a serious reaction.





Finally, when all else fails, sleep sitting up.
try polo's or any other mints

No comments:

Post a Comment