Sunday, August 22, 2010

How do we get our baby out of our bed and into her crib? Any advice on how to make your baby sleep all night?

There is no non-abusive way to make a baby sleep all night. You're just going to run into problems later on if you try to force developmental stages like sleeping through the night before baby is ready. Your baby is a baby -- she or he is not designed to do that right away.





The ';cry it out'; thing a couple of people here have advocated is abusive at worst and neglectful at best. There is a good page on the _research_ on that here:





http://www.talaris.org/pdf/research/CIOP鈥?/a>





Is there a reason you want to move your baby to a crib?





Sleeping with your child provides a lot of comfort, security and love for him or her, so if you really need to stop it, you're going to have to go heavy on cuddling and nursing and other comforts.





Might as well just commit yourself to being up in the night for a while yet, though, and enjoy the cuddles while you're up. You may regret not cuddling when your baby is an older child who wants little to do with hugging...





';The expected pattern is for mother and child to sleep together, and for child to be able to nurse whenever they want during the night. Normal, healthy, breastfed and co-sleeping children do not sleep ';through the night'; (say 7-9 hours at a stretch) until they are 3-4 years old, and no longer need night nursing. I repeat -- this is NORMAL and HEALTHY.';





http://kathydettwyler.org/detsleepthroug鈥?/a>





';Your baby will begin to comfort herself and to sleep for longer stretches at her own developmental pace. If your baby wants to nurse at night, it is because she DOES need this, whether it's because she is hungry or because she wants to be close to mom. Sleeping through the night is a developmental milestone (like walking or toilet training) that your baby will reach when she is ready to. Trying to force or coax baby to reach this before her time may result in other problems later on.





If you can try to take a more relaxed approach and trust that it will come in time, you'll see your baby eventually become a good sleeper. You'll be able to rest peacefully in your heart and mind knowing that she reached this in her own time when she felt secure enough to do so, not because he had no other choice but to quiet herself because no one would come.





Probably one of the main reasons that night-waking babies are such a big issue is that parents don't have realistic expectations of the sleep patterns of babies. We are bombarded with magazine articles and books that perpetuate the myth that babies should not have nighttime needs. Babies were designed to wake up often at night to feed and cuddle, and keep in mind that many adults wake during the night, too. If our expectations for babies were not so different from our babies' expectations for themselves, much of this ';problem'; might disappear.';





http://www.kellymom.com/parenting/sleep/鈥?/a>How do we get our baby out of our bed and into her crib? Any advice on how to make your baby sleep all night?
How old is she?





Don't know her age but when my daughter learnt how to get out of her cot ( 19 months ) we knew she was ready for a bed and now she sleeps in her own room.How do we get our baby out of our bed and into her crib? Any advice on how to make your baby sleep all night?
';Crying-it-out'; is not and has never been an option with our children. Studies show that it's detrimental to a child's psychological development (having regular panic attacks has an adverse effect on a still-growing brain). We co-slept with my daughter until she was around a year old. I'd have continued co-sleeping for longer if she didn't get into the habit of kickboxing in her sleep. When we felt it was time for her to move into her own room, we made a big deal about her moving into her own room with her own [toddler] bed because she was becoming a big girl.





The first few nights started out in her room, but morning found us all in the family bed again. She gradually got over her fear of being alone in her own bedroom, though, as her father or I would sit with her until she was nearly asleep. After a few weeks she was going to bed on her own without having a parent reassure her everything was ok. She's 3 years old now and I don't have any problems getting her to go to bed except for the usual excuses made to prolong my telling her it's bedtime. My son is almost 8 months old now and his father and I co-sleep with him. We'll probably do the same for him that we did for our daughter.








http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T071000鈥?/a>
From what I understand you just have to let them cry for a night or two. Just put her in the crib.. Keep an eye on her but do NOT respond to crying that isn't from hunger or something wrong...





If she's old enough to go all night without eating, then make sure her tummy's full before bed, and put her in the crib.. If she cries, make sure that she's okay, but leave her in the crib and don't give into her demands for attention She'll quickly learn to sleep through the night.








Please.. all this pop psychology is the reason that many people have children over the age of 2 that still sleep with the parents, still use a pacifier... Parents today are afraid to lay down the law to their children... It's sad..





How is ';cry it out'; abusive?? I'm not advocating neglecting the baby or NOT making sure that there's nothing physically wrong with it.. I'm not advocating making it go without eating for longer periods of time than is appropriate for it's age.. A baby.. even 2 days old.. knows how to use crying to get what IT WANTS... Is it abusive to refuse to buy a 5 year old a toy because the child is crying for it and throwing a temper tantrum in the store?? That's where parents end up when they think they have to give the baby what it wants whenever it cries!! I'm sorry but people can spout all the nonsense they want about babies knowing what their schedule should be, etc.. but an adult human being has MUCH higher brain capacity and.. sorry to burst some people's bubble here. DOES know what is best for the baby.. even better than the baby does..





My mom says that what she did with me when she decided that it was time for me to sleep by myself (I think around the time I was old enough to go all night without eating) SHE put me in my crib and slept on the floor beside it so she could make sure I was alright and I knew she was there. I cried myself to sleep, and had no more trouble ever sleeping in my own bed or sleeping through the night.





do you REALLY think it's ';healthy'; for a 3 year old to still be breastfeeding?? If not, then please disregard the sources that ';babies Uber Allies'; are quoting..








Oh.. also.. my family has always been ';huggy';.. Sleeping on my own since 5 or 6 months or whatever it was certainly didn't make me ';want little to do with hugging'; Of all things in my life.. my mother's love for me has been the thing I've been the MOST constantly sure of and never ever doubted.
I had this problem too with my baby. It took a lot of hard work, a few sleepless nights. We did it when my hubby had a vaction so we could both tackle the problem. The first step would be to do it as a team. Then we would stick with our normal rountine of a bath, bottle, rocking, then being placed in bed to sleep. I don't do cry it out. I know some ppl. do and that is up to you 100% on if you want to cry it out, or confront as needed. I did the confront thing, she would start to fuss, and I would tell her it is time for bed, then I would rub her back w/o talking to her, leave the room, and it was just a lot of confront you could also offer baby a blankie that smells like the two of you and your bed. Now in the mourning if my baby wakes up around five-sixish, I bring her back in bed with us after feeding her for a few hours and she will sleep until 8-9AM. I loved co-sleeping, but hubby had enough...so we did the happy median that when she wakes up she can come in bed. For sleeping thru the nite every baby is differnt stick with a rountine mine is like this: about seven we do some floor play to kinda wind down, then read a story, then I talk to her about a bath. Then we do the bath, lotion, etc, then I feed her, and it is off to bed from there. Make sure your baby isn't teething. You could also try to move the crib in your room or bassinett until he is used to that, then move baby into his room. Good luck! It is rough at first.

No comments:

Post a Comment