Sunday, August 22, 2010

Need advice on how to cat proof my house?

I have two crazy cats that like to go anywhere and everywhere and mess around. They like going under the bed, messing with wires, under tables, etc. How do I ensure the best safety for them? I guess I'll keep them in my bedroom at night because my house is too big to cat proof. I want to be able to go to sleep without worrying about them getting in to trouble or messing my stuff up.





thanksNeed advice on how to cat proof my house?
first off remove all dangerous plants ';poinsettia, dumb cane'; away from cats reach, they can be very dangerous next off, if cats like to chew on wires it can cause deadly electrocution, so you can do a few things to prevent this, coat the wires with something that cats hate (mustard vinegar etc) this can be risky because although adult cats wont bother the wires little kitten may choose to ignore your repellent, so its a better idea to unplug thing when you're not around to supervise, and that's the thing, its time to train the cats not to fool with wires (reprimand when you see them), cats love to jump and a young clumsy kitten can easily knock over priceless objects in seconds, its too late to shout no when the object is falling, so remove all small vases and things cats could knock over, from their jumping range, also cats like to pee in plants and ashes so screen fireplaces and large flowerpots, its safe for cats to go under beds unless there is danger under them such as wires removes any danger from under beds, also if the cat is allowed outside, clean up all antifreeze, it tastes good to cats but its highly deadly, one tablespoon can kill a cat, be sure to try and teach them what not to touch and they will learn soon enough and also their play stage will go away and they wont want to play with everything in sight, good luckNeed advice on how to cat proof my house?
So far I've been lucky my cat only gets into


thinks that are not harmful,like knocking things off my shelves


and taking paper or pencils around the house.


You could buy this Pet cord Protector I forgot the name but


it worked when i had a rabbit its nasty to them and they stop


the biting on it.


I would put them up in a room were they can


be safe until they clam down or you have time to proof your house.


My cat sleeps at night,when I do you could try what I do and


have them worn out before you want to sleep.My kitty ';Ziva';


knows not to chew on cords because I would yell or make a loud noise


if I see her wanting to get them and she will not mess with them now plus,you could also find some toys for them to play with or a small cat house Just not loud jingle balls at night gets annoying.But cats are cats and will do what they want someday.


Ziva has 2 baskets full of toys,cat house,and boxes but some nights


has to go and mess my things up.But shes pretty good at not being so naughty.





Hope this is some help.


Just try to teach them what is okay and not okay to


play with.
I have a very large house and I foster kittens and have 4 cats of my own and it all can get a bit nuts at once but there are some thing you can do. If you have wires more than 2-3 ft put a black hose around them it keeps them safe and makes them look less interesting..as for getting up on stuff.... get a spray bottle and wen you see it squirt em but can will learn the right places to go . And as for locking them in your room not good they may get mad about being confined and spray just saying i have had many cats returned for those reasons.
- There are no plants in my house. They would just die anyway and I grow my weed in the cornfield across the road.





- there are no harsh cleaning chemicals in my house. Nobody here would use them if there were. ROTFL .





- my cats have no interest in wires of any sort. Reason unknown. Their main interest lies in zipper tags/pulls.





- there are no disciplinary aids in my house except for the ball gag and the handcuffs in master bedroom. ( did I say that in my outside voice? )





- there is no fine china set out in my house - Tupperware is my friend.





- there are no cat deterrents on my counters, tables, good furniture or beds. (see below)





- there are no cats begging at the dinner table. (see below)





- I do, however, have a 68 pound Black Lab that is more than willing to take any miscreants in hand and administer a bite to their bums. The cats have learned that if they are well behaved the dog will let them sleep with him and let them groom him. And since they have developed a taste for doggy earwax they are extremely well behaved and the dogs ears have never been cleaner.





AND LIFE SIMPLY DOESN'T GET ANY BETTER THAN THAT ! !
hat ever you do, DO NOT LOCK THEM UP





You just need to be disipline on your cats, yell or say loudly to stop when they do something they arn't supposed to do





Its hard to say that to the poor kittys (well my Mom did it for me)


but it helps!


Though its just hard to say NO to your curious cat
Give them plenty of stuff to play with and plenty attention so they aren't doing it out of boredom. Keep one room they are in when you are out or sleeping, keep doors shut.

No comments:

Post a Comment