Saturday, July 31, 2010

Advice on how to help my friend?

My best friend (my ex-boyfriend, just giving u history),is going to have to put his dog down on monday.His dog has cancer and they dont have the money to operate on it and she is 12 years old so it would be kinda a waste if shell only live another couple years.Hes so upset about it becuase he raised her and she is his little shadow.Ive already told him its better this way because she is really sick , her stomach is so bloated and she is having a hard time breathing and moving.What can i do to help him ?What can i do to make him not so upset?


Thanks for the help.Advice on how to help my friend?
You are doing and saying all the right things. He is hurting and needs someone to talk to so just be there for him. A pet is as much a part of your family as some of your relatives so it is a very painful experience to lose one, you should just continue to be supportive and confirming that it is better that the dog is no longer going to be suffering and that he is being very unselfish in putting her needs first. Her quality of life would be awful and he would hurt more to see her suffer.Advice on how to help my friend?
Just be there for him as a friend. That in intself is worth alot.
I went through this two yreas ago with my cat of 14 yrs he died of cancer out of no where he looked sick I took him to the vet he gave him less than a week to live so I just had him put down to end his pain .really all you can do is be there for him just keep reminding him he is doing the right thing maybe help him to have memoral service even if he leaves th dogs body there,and if his grieving seems to go on to long do not say things like shouldn't you be over this by now some people said that crap to me it just made me feel stupid and even more sad.
you should tell him he's doing the right thing and its the best thing to do in that situation


and maybe buy him a new dog
I had to go put my cat down last summer: August 26th. It was really difficult as well because she had cancer all over her body and she was my shadow as well. No one really did anything to help me. But I wish someone would have shown a little sympathy and would have shown that they cared more than they did. All you can really do is just show your friend that you care about them and are there if they want to talk about it.
Ask his parents for some photos, and make him a scrapbook of his dog. Just be there for him, in case he needs someone to talk to. This will sound weird but, try not to bring up, or avoid the subject (I don't know if that's amkes sense anywhere but my mind).

No comments:

Post a Comment