Saturday, July 31, 2010

Can someone please help me. i need any advice on how I can get my adult cat to stop eating kitty litter.?

it causes her to vomit. Anything holistic is preferable.Can someone please help me. i need any advice on how I can get my adult cat to stop eating kitty litter.?
Yuck! My cat does the same thing when she finds litter she has tracked out onto the carpet. 'Yesterdays News' (litter made from recycled newspaper) she'll just eat straight out of the tray, it's disgusting!





For my cat, I tricked her. I took a few pieces of clean litter from the bag and sprayed them with 'Chew Guard' and then sprinkled it outside her litter box after vacuuming up the other stuff. A few days of attempting to eat the awful tasting stuff (I don't understand how litter isn't awful tasting as it is, but that's a cat for you!) she decided it wasn't worth it anymore and stopped altogether.





Good luck!Can someone please help me. i need any advice on how I can get my adult cat to stop eating kitty litter.?
bribe her with cut up vegtable soups
It could be fatal also. See you vet for ideas. You could change your type cat liter and her/his food.
I don't think it is good idea to not let the parent eats the litter, except that you regularly clean the litter yourself... :)


So, clean it before the adult cat eat it then...
Eating litter is not a behavior problem, but rather, a medical problem. It is caused by Anemia. When a cat starts to eat litter is is usually because they are Anemic. You need to take your cat to the vet soon, as the Anemia is usually pretty advanced by the time they are eating litter. My Tigger is 'slighty' anemic and has never eaten litter, it is usually when the blood count is very low, the eating litter comes into play. The tests you really NEED to have done are: A CBC (Complete Blood Count), and a Blood Work Panel, which will measure the organ functions. Usually Anemia is caused by another disease, like Chronic Kidney Disease. You will need to find out how bad the Anemia is, and find out the cause of it.





Eating Litter/Licking Concrete





This is known as pica. Many vets are not aware that this can be a symptom of anemia, but it is surprisingly common, so if a CRF cat suddenly starts eating litter, PCV or HCT levels (anemia measurement) should always be tested. Thomas was already being treated for anemia when he began to eat his litter. Sure enough, when we tested him, his anemia had worsened, so we increased his medication and as soon as his anemia improved his litter eating stopped.





The source for this information is below.





Hth, and please contact me if you would like more information, I know about Anemia groups on the internet, and would be glad to share the information with you.
I wonder if she's eating it because she has some kind of mineral deficiency or a sour stomach.





When our body lacks a mineral, it drives us (animals too) to consume weird things. I knew a pregnant woman who was driven to pick at bricks and eat it. Turns out she was iron deficient and the bricks have a lot of red iron in them. Strange, huh!





Also, eating clay and charcoal is a way to settle a stomach. Perhaps she has a tender tummy?





Try a new food maybe. Ask the vet... perhaps they've seen this before.

No comments:

Post a Comment