Saturday, July 31, 2010

How seriously should I take the advice not to use conventional masonry bits with an SDS drill.?

My drill comes with a chuck that appears to allow hammer action so I could use a standard bit. I know the extra hammer force of SDS drills exceeds what normal masonry bits are designed for but for shallower holes (drilling into but not through breeze block is what I'm planning) I don't see any reason to spend money on an SDS bit. Or is this a BAD IDEA??


Thanks everyone.How seriously should I take the advice not to use conventional masonry bits with an SDS drill.?
Bad idea you will damage your chuck and shatter the end off of the bit SDS bits only cost a few pounds and will last for a long time drilling breeze blocks you shoud only use the chuck for non SDS work.How seriously should I take the advice not to use conventional masonry bits with an SDS drill.?
SDS bits are a special type of quick release bit that can only be used with the matching SDS chuck. These are normally found on the more professional end of the tool market. However you can by adaptor chucks to convert standard ( staight shank bits ) to sds and visa versa .


I would recommend a good quality bit which ever way you choose to go.


I find drilling pilot holes, when drilling into breeze block, prevents the drill wandering off line and ending up with a hole too large or off line.
The 2 systems are not compatible. The standard masonry bit will fit a hammer drill, while the SDS fit that chuck. The SDS will give a harder impact to the bit and it will basically destroy the masonry bit. Go rent a rotohammer for the project and be done with it.
A standard bit in a chuck will work on hammer,but if you want to look after your chuck dont do it too many times,as prolonged use like this will damage the internal workings of the chuck.


If its small holes your drilling (5.5/6mm) then drill bit only a couple of quid %26amp; are much better,so just buy one.
I know what you mean, I have a drill that comes with it too.


I'd have no problem at all using one, but I still wouldn't. An SDS drill bit is excellent, it's just so quick to change and you don't have to worry about using allen keys/hex keys.


For the amount extra your paying, it's worth buying the SDS bit.
You can switch off the hammer action can't you?


For ';drilling into but not through breeze block';


hammer action is not a good idea anyway.
A chuck on an sds drill is designed not to hammer in hammer mode as it will destroy the chuck.

No comments:

Post a Comment