Saturday, July 31, 2010

Advice on how to quit smoking while pregnant?

I know it's not healthy for me and the baby and everytime I smoke I think about what harm I could be causing, but I just can't kick this damn habit. I desperatly want to, but it's so hard. Any advice or personal expeirences would be greatly appreciated!





--Please no nasty answers I know it's bad!Advice on how to quit smoking while pregnant?
Write down your reasons for quitting. Look at the list when you are tempted to smoke.


Choose a “quit day.” On that day, throw away all your cigarettes, lighters and ashtrays. You can do it, you are a strong woman and mother. Best of luck to you!Advice on how to quit smoking while pregnant?
Just think of your baby inhaling this smoke along with over 2,000 other chemicals..the baby is developing..go to www.whyquit.com and you wont want to smoke..Good luck..I used to smoke..I quit best thing I ever did..and didnt smoke when pregnant..I had no guilt that way and really felt great!! Good luck and email me if you need more help..
My name is Donna and Im still struggling a little myself but I wanted to share something with you that has help me cut down A LOT. I dont want to scare you but think about the fact that every time you light a cigarette its just like grabbing a hold of your baby's cord and squeezing it, preventing him or her to get oxygen. When I read that I cried. I dont know anything about you or your religion but I pray when I start to crave one and ask him to take the craving and it helps. Keep mind why you dont want to smoke and try to remember that its only 9 to 10 months. I will continue to pray about this habit and keep will be keeping you and your baby in my mind when I do.
I would never be nasty, but you have to not be selfish now because you have a new life growing within you who deserves a healthy start to life. Just stop. Plain and simple. Just don't have another one. At all. Over and over just think of your baby, and you'll be proud you made such a sacrifice. I hope you have stopped drinking, and all drugs.
quit!quit!quit! juz quit! but its hard though.. good luck on your pregnancy
I understand where you are coming from. I hope you can find a support system to help you out. If you smoke a lot, your doctor may give you the patch to wean you off. If you smoke less, they might just reccommend classes.





While I understand the backlash against smokers, and while I know it isn't good for the baby, I wish people would better educate themselves about what cigarrette smoking has been proven to cause....not what they believe it causes.





Alcohol is the worst thing to ingest while pregnant. It is worse than heroine, crack, meth etc. It causes mental retardation and physical deformation. Cigarrettes can cause low birth weight and occasionally premature labor....not good things, but not the worst either.





I'll get flamed for this, but I suggest you cut back as much as possible, that is what my doctor told me to do, and that is what I'm doing. I don't drink, I eat well, I've gained 23 lbs. and have 3 1/2 months to go, and the baby is measuring right on schedule. I was unable to fully quit with my last child, but I was smoking only 2 cigarrettes a day. She was 7 lbs at birth and is now a healthy and wonderful 12 year old.





I wish you the best of luck and hope that you are able to quit completely; but if you can't seem to quite get there, don't beat yourself up...just cut back a LOT and eat right. Stressing out isn't good for the baby either.





Again, best of luck....from one struggling smoker to another.
You need to talk to your doctor because the withdrawal from smoking is a violent process for the body. That is why people shake, get mood swings etc.. Anyways, would it work if you looked up all the scary side effects? Could you be scared enough to quit? My case was different, my husband told me that when I wanted to have a baby I had to quit but you're already passed that......... Hopefully the guilt will eat at you and you'll quit. Good luck.
try eating carrots and celery sticks or try chewwing gum if you like the holding part of cigs try holding a pencil good luck
Nicole,





Try really hard to consider the baby you're carrying.. I mean you want to make sure your baby is healthy and you don't want to be the reason he/she isn't. I'm sure its going to hard to kick your habit, however, its not just about you anymore and once you realize that important fact you will be on the path of becoming a great mother.





Congratulation on your new bundle of joy!!!
You need to redirect your efforts....even if the best you can do is replace the habit with something else, do that. You are not in control of your body if you cannot quit smoking. You cannot want to be a slave to such a nasty thing...and your child will see that....talke to yourself, seek help from your doctor or midwife. You could be doing such harm to your little one.





I wish you the world, dear one.
GET SOME HELP THEN DUMMY !!! Get hold of your doctor, or contact the American Lung Association, United Way, La Leche, ANYONE. BUT DON'T YOU EVER LIGHT UP AGAIN !!!





At least, you are depriving your body and the baby's of oxygen. At worst, you know what that is - killing you and the baby.





YOU HAVE A LIFE - NOW KEEP IT !!! good luck
I am having the same problem but I have tried to vision how bad it is for the baby, everytime I light up I think of what toxins are going to my baby and it makes me put it out. Gum helps or celery. I have cut back alot and it is very hard but it will get easier. Good Luck!
How I stopped was...I started chewing gum, I refrained from being around others who smoked, and when I did smoke I broke my cigarette to the point that it only had about 2-4 puffs on it. I also thought a lot about the harm it could do to the baby, and that smoking increases the chances of miscarriage. It worked, and I quit within a week and a half.
You must stop immediately. Cold Turkey. That's the only safe way.
just think about all the toxins you are puting into your child.
You are really going to have to go off cigarettes cold turkey.
I am really trying not to be nasty. Its just that it ticks me off so much.





Try to be unselfish for 9 months. Its the least you can do for a lil baby completely dependent on you.The poor baby has no choice. You do. Imagine how a miscarriage would devastate you.





I honestly dont know how people can light up when they know how bad its for their baby.
As soon as I found out I was pregnant I threw the pack of cigs away and never touched them again. It takes a lot of willpower, but you just have to get rid of them, you can't smoke what you don't have. Also imagine your unborn baby struggling with the smoke. If you need support, contact me amanda_cormaci@yahoo.com I will help
OK, one of the first signs to me that I was pregnant is that the thought of having a cig. made me want to puke ( for that fact so did everything at that point)But when I had quit before hand (I know , I know I'm a repeat offender) I used lots of chewing gum (sugarless), Ice, carrots, as well as biting my nails (i don't really suggest this one). Stand fast determination will help you kick the butt. Good luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment